Aubrey focuses her law practice on the defense of businesses in employment-related litigation. Aubrey’s expertise is in the concentration of litigation before the Indiana Worker’s Compensation Board. Aubrey assists employers in worker’s compensation disputes including compensability decisions, investigations and all aspects of litigation from discovery and through trial. Aubrey has written and spoken extensively on the Indiana Worker’s Compensation Act and its practical application for employers. Further, Aubrey counsels businesses in other worker’s compensation employment-related issues such as returning to work, termination and benefit analysis in an effort to help her clients minimize exposure due to employment decisions.
In 2013 and 2014, Aubrey taught employment law classes at Marion University. She covered topics such as Title VII, ADA, and Indiana worker’s compensation law in the class “Law in the Modern Workplace.” In 2009, Aubrey was named a Leadership in Law “Up and Coming Lawyer” by The Indiana Lawyer. For numerous years since 2009 she has been selected to the Rising Stars list published in Indiana Super Lawyers Magazine.
In 2020 Aubrey was a driving force behind securing the title sponsorship of the annual Indiana Chamber Indiana Worker’s Compensation Conference and has secured title sponsorship for the 2021 conference as well. In addition to Indiana Work Comp conferences, she has been selected to speak at the ICLEF Annual Masters Series Conference, and the 2021 CLM Workers Compensation and Retail, Restaurant & Hospitality Conference taking place in Chicago. In addition to speaking at statewide conferences Aubrey is frequently asked to contribute or be featured in professional publications. Thomson Reuters Practical Law AUTHORity newsletter featured Aubrey for their final newsletter of 2020 and she will also be contributing to the CLM magazine and webinar series in 2021.
When not at work, Aubrey enjoys spending time with her husband and two young daughters.
- Presenter, "Indiana Worker’s Compensation 101: Alphabet Soup Decoded," 2020 Indiana Worker's Compensation Conference, Indiana Chamber, September 2020.
- Presenter, "Experts - The Impact That Your Choice Can Have on Your Workers Comp Claim," CLM, April 2018.
- Presenter, “Understanding the 7th Circuit Ruling on Title VII: Sexual Orientation Discrimination & Ensuring Compliance in the Workplace,” Kightlinger & Gray Lunch & Learn May 16, 2017.
- Presenter, “Revised White Collar Exemptions Revealed: Understanding the Proposed Changes to the FLSA Overtime Regulations and How It Will Impact Your Employees and Payroll,” Kightlinger & Gray Lunch and Learn, November 2015.
- Author, “Workers’ Compensation Laws: Indiana,” Practical Law Labor & Employment Publication, October 2015.
- Presenter, “What to Expect When Your Employee Is Expecting: Understanding the EEOC’s Enforcement Guidance on Pregnancy Discrimination and Related Issues,” Kightlinger & Gray Lunch and Learn, January 28, 2015.
- Presenter, “The Millennials – Preparing for the Future and Getting the Most From the Next Generation,” Claims and Litigation Management Alliance (CLM) Annual Conference, April 9 – 11, 2014.
- Instructor, “Law in the Modern Workplace”, Marion University, Winter 2013 and Summer 2013.
- Co-Author, “Synopsis of House Enrolled Act 1320,” The Indiana Lawyer, July 17, 2013
- Presenter, “Background Checks: What You Need to Know to Prevent Discriminatory Practices,” Kightlinger & Gray Lunch and Learn, June 13, 2013
- Co-Author, “Can I Fire Him?,” Indiana Civil Litigation Review Volume 9, 2012
- Presenter, “Responding to Employee Use of Social Media: The Changing Landscape,” Kightlinger & Gray Lunch and Learn, September 19, 2012
- Author, “Top Ten Issues Employers Should Know About Social Networking,” The Indiana Lawyer, July 20 – August 12, 2011
- Presenter, “Top Ten Misunderstandings About Opposing Counsel,” Indiana State Bar Association Women in the Law Conference, March 5, 2011
- Presenter, “Return to Work Analysis Based on Indiana Worker’s Compensation Act and the ADAAA,” Sterling Educational Services, June 29, 2010
- Presenter, “The Effects of the ADAAA on Worker’s Compensation,” ITLA Conference on Worker’s Compensation, July 31, 2009
- Author, “The Effects of the ADAAA on Worker’s Compensation,” The Indiana Lawyer, July 22, 2009
- Presenter, “How to use Information Learned in a Worker’s Compensation File in Defending a General Liability Case,” Defense Trial Counsel of Indiana (DTCI) 15th Annual Conference & Meeting, November 20, 2008
- Author, “Explosion in Worker’s Compensation Mediation,” The Indiana Lawyer, July 23, 2008
- Co-Author, “2006 Year in Review: Worker’s Compensation Law,” Indiana Civil Litigation Review, 2007
- Selected to the Indianapolis Bar Foundation 2011 Class of Distinguished Fellows
- Selected for inclusion on the Rising Stars list published in Indiana Super Lawyers Magazine (2009-2018)
- Selected as a 2009 Leadership in Law Up and Coming Lawyer by The Indiana Lawyer
- Claims and Litigation Management Alliance (CLM) - Midwest Regional Chair 2019 – Present
- Claims and Litigation Management Alliance (CLM), Indiana Chapter President 2016 – 2017
- Claims and Litigation Management Alliance (CLM) - Indiana Chapter Vice President, 2015
- Indiana Workers' Compensation Institute, Inc. (IWCI)
- Defense Trial Counsel of Indiana (DTCI) - Chair, Worker’s Compensation Section, 2011
- Defense Trial Counsel of Indiana (DTCI) - Vice Chair, Worker’s Compensation Section, 2010
- Indiana State Bar Association (ISBA) 2004 - 2018
- Indianapolis Bar Association (IBA)
- - Indianapolis Bar Association (IBA) -H.E.A.L. (Helping Enrich Attorneys' Lives) Committee Chair, 2014-2015
- - Indianapolis Bar Association (IBA) - Publications Committee Chair, 2013
- - Indianapolis Bar Association (IBA) - Bar Leader Series IX Graduate, 2012
- - Indianapolis Bar Association (IBA) - Membership Committee Chair, 2011
- - Indianapolis Bar Association (IBA) - Membership Committee, 2010 and 2015
- Defense Research Institute (DRI)
Civic & Charitable
- Indianapolis Bar Foundation- Board of Directors, 2015 – 2018
- - Indianapolis Bar Foundation- Committee Member, Evening Under the Stars, Dinner and Auction, 2013 and 2014
- - Indianapolis Bar Foundation- Co-Chair, Evening Under the Stars, Dinner and Auction, 2012
- Girls, Inc.- Classroom Instructor
- Kids' Chance of Indiana Sponsor
211 North Pennsylvania Street
Indianapolis, IN 46204
- Centre College, 2001
- Valparaiso University School of Law, 2004
- Indiana, 2004
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Indiana
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Indiana