Bill Hussmann is a former U.S. Magistrate Judge who joined Kightlinger & Gray’s Evansville office in 2016, after retiring from the bench. Hussmann, who presided over a wide range of civil cases in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Indiana, focuses his practice on Alternative Dispute Resolution, including handling mediations and arbitrations. Bill performs mediations and arbitrations at all Kightlinger & Gray locations. He also litigates a variety of civil claims for corporate clients across a broad spectrum of industries.
During his nearly 28 year judicial career, Bill conducted bench and jury trials and wrote approximately 50 opinions each year. He spent most of his time each year conducting approximately 150 mediation style settlement conferences where parties were present in person. He has recently completed the necessary training requirements to be listed as an Arbitrator with the American Arbitrator Association (www.adr.org/AAA). Bill’s caseload included a wide range of civil disputes, including those related to Employment, Personal Injury and Medical Malpractice, Breach of Contract, ERISA and Disability, Civil Rights, Unfair Business Practices, Patent and Trademark issues, and Environmental Law.
Prior to becoming a judge, Bill spent time in both the public and private sectors. He served as an in-house staff attorney with Associated Insurance Companies, Inc., conducting and supervising claims litigation brought against a health insurer and advising on how best to avoid lawsuits. As Indiana Deputy Attorney General in the General Tort Section, Bill defended the state and its agencies from tort claims. Later, as a staff attorney with the Indiana Supreme Court Disciplinary Commission, he prosecuted claims of attorney ethical violations.
Between 2013 and 2016, Bill served as a member of the U.S. Judicial Conference Committee on the Codes of Conduct. In that capacity, he was one of 15 judges throughout the United States who was designated to provide formal and informal guidance to other federal judges on compliance and ethical issues arising under the Code of Judicial Conduct. In 2012, he was also recognized with a Civility Award from the Indiana State Bar Association. Bill has been a longtime member of the Evansville Bar Association’s Diversity Outreach Committee and formerly served as an adjunct instructor at the University of Evansville’s School of Business. He is a frequent presenter at bar association conferences and events, often discussing issues like bench and bar relations, employment litigation, evidence, federal civil procedure and local rules.
- Indiana State Bar Association Civility Award (2012)
- American Arbitration Association (AAA)
- 7th Circuit Bar Association
- Evansville Bar Association (EBA)
- Indiana State Bar Association
Civic and Charitable Organizations
- Society of St. Vincent DePaul - Evansville District Council President
- Society of St. Vincent DePaul - St. Theresa Conference President
- North Youth Basketball Association - Former President
- North High School PTSA - Former President
- Oak Hill Middle School PTSA - Former President
Evansville, IN 47715
211 North Pennsylvania Street
Indianapolis, IN 46204
8001 Broadway, Suite 100
Merrillville, IN 46410
3620 Blackiston Boulevard
New Albany, IN 47150
- Valparaiso University, B.A., 1972
- Valparaiso University, J.D., 1975
- Indiana, 1976
- North Carolina, 1976
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Indiana
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Indiana
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of North Carolina
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 7th Circuit